Are You Ready and Prepared For a Storm?
Knowing a storm is on its way can cause panic and anxiety thinking about potential damaged to your home as well as ensuring you and your family stay safe during the severe weather. Here are a few things to make your home ready and assist in preventing further damage from high winds and rain:
- Secure fences and outside furniture: Heavy winds can easily pull unsecured fencing and loose patio furniture off the ground, which could cause exterior damage to your house. Make sure your fence is properly secured, and anchor outdoor furniture or bring it inside.
- Check gutters: Make sure your gutters are clear of debris and downspouts drain away from your house to help prevent interior water damage.
- Trim trees: Dead tree limbs near your windows could potentially get loose from heavy winds and puncture through.
- Protect your valuables: If you store valuables in your basement, make sure they are off the ground or secured in boxes.
- Review your policy: Lots of homeowners often find out too late that their insurance policy does not cover certain types of flood damages!
- Create an emergency kit: Make sure your emergency kit has everything you need just in case!
In addition to these steps, make sure you are packed with emergency food and water, clothes, blankets, flashlights, chargers, cell phones and enough gas in your vehicle in case of an emergency evacuation!
Once the storm has passed, be sure to call SERVPRO for any clean up, water damage, or restoration needs. (847) 593-3055